Visa Experiences

visaexperiences.blogspot.com is designed to help F1 students who just got their admits and are preparing for their VISA interviews. it contains several latest VISA experiences of students.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Visa to Rutgers

Posted by: "RAVI KIRAN" iamravikiran@yahoo.co.in iamravikiran
Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:52 am (PST)
Hi Grp!

I am RaviKiran heading to Rutgers for Ms in Environmental Engg this fall.
I had my interview on july 10th in chennai.

Here are my credentials
GRE: 1440
Toefl: 273
B.Tech from ISM Dhanbad in Mining Engg.(GPA of 3.20/5.0)

The visa lobby was crowded that day and at 11am they were handling
students with 8:30 and 8:45 appointments. Only 3-4 counters were open.
Finally as luck would have it I was shifted from a counter to that of
Nancy's. She was issuing visas only if she was completely convinced.
In front of me I had 2 rejections a visa and another rejection. I had
my interview @ 11:40

Here goes my interview

Me: Good Morning Maam.
VO: Good Morning Sir! How are you?
Me: Fine Maam.Thank you.
(I passed on the maroon folder to her)

VO: So which school are you going to?
Me: Rutgers-The state University of New Jersey.

VO: You have applied to ......?
Me: Environmetnal Engineering.

VO: You did your BS also in Environmental Engineering?
Me: No maam! I did my B.Tech in Mining Engg. from ISM,Dhanbad.

VO: Then why did you apply to Environmental engg.
ME: Blah blah...

VO: tell me one thing.. Are the mines in India concentrated in a
single belt or are they spread all over India.
ME: It depends on the type of minerals. Coal is available all over
India. Gold is mainly available in karnataka.... blah blah

VO: why was the kolar gold mine closed?
ME: because they reached a depth more than 1km and with current tech
in India its highly risky. so they closed down the mine due to safety
resasons. They are now operating in HGML which is very close to Kolar
Gold Mines.

VO: Couldnt They just adopt a different technology?
ME: That wouldnt have been economically viable as they would have to
bare the latent cost for keeping the mine open till the new tech
arrived and train their exsisting manpower and also plan for the
survival trough.

VO: Why did you apply to Rutgers?
Me: My prof did a proj with that univ and he advised me to apply. He
said that this school has excellent lab facilities and active research
is carried on continously. Moreover I also found out that most of the
faculty were eminent figures in the industry.

VO: Did you apply to any other schools?
ME: yes maam! I applied to 2 more schools.

VO: show me your gradesheets and your GRE and Toefl scorecards.
(I passed them to her)

VO: Whats your GPA>?
ME: 3.20
VO: but your provisional says you have a second class.
ME: our univ offers first class at 3.25 maam. I missed it by a grade.
VO: thats very harsh! maintaining 3.25 is tough.
ME: yes maam! We are expected to be the best.
(Both put up a big plastic smile)

VO: I see you did not get any funding from the school. Who is funding you?
ME: My father agreed to pay my fee.

VO: whats your father?
VO: whats his annual income?
ME:............

VO: Show me your property documents?
(gave her Valuation and CA reports)

VO: I am issuing your visa. you will recieve your passport through
courrier in a week. Enjoy your stay in the US young man!

I thanked her took my I20 and ran out of the consulate building.

Maintain your calm and answer confidently. Do not change your answers
and the work would a lot easier for you.
CSE and electronics ppl should carefully plan their answers to questions like

Why this school?
Why this spl?
what are your career plans?

Do drop in a mail if you want anything from me.
--RaviKiran

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home